Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Week 14: 21st Century Comics

For this week’s modern day comic I had chosen to read Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. Before reading the comic, I had an obsession with the movie. Surprising or not, this is my first time hearing about a comic version of Scott Pilgrim. I was expecting a more detailed version of the movie with character background and gladly, that is what I got. The Scott Pilgrim comics are the most relatable to our modern day modern day generation to audiences who are in high school through college. There were many topics that were addressed such as relationships, social anxiety, and jealousy. 



This is the most visually written and descriptively conceptive comic I have encountered this semester. While reading this modern day comic, I came to terms of how the world of comics has evolved over time. The graphics were simple, but solid and stylistic. Most of the visually entertaining parts of Scott Pilgrim came from the overly descriptive parts such as the detailed visual of Scott and Wallace’s bedroom room which made bought more humor and narrative into the story giving us character background. Throughout all the concert scenes, there were the key symbols to the guitar for the viewer to imply the sounds of the music in their head. For many of the subtext images, there was just the descriptive image that was so visually accurate that it did not need a subtitle for it.


The story itself was gave me a better since of what was going on in the movie. There were so many background stories. The one that I found completely hilarious was the story of how Scott met Knives Chau on the bus with her mother. I see why this scene was cut out of the film for time and budget purposes, but when I saw this part of the comic, I just kept imagining it in the movie. I would recommend this comic to anyone that wants to be truly entertained with this humorous story.

No comments:

Post a Comment